Stock pieces

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Here is the Rootes Engineering drawing for the side piece. It was BEECH.

3F78E030-7AD8-44C0-9FEB-8165D749BA1E.jpeg

Warren

Gold forum user
Big topic on the email list.
And there's also a thread discussing it in depth.
I've had some of the plywood but it was completely delaminated.
You got to figure if it was Birch which is a white wood something would have been done to it to get it a consistent color all the way through. Plus they say plywood but is everyone knows plywood comes in different sizes and different laminate sizes. There's no discussion on this other than the alleged original pieces. PS
Your car looked great Jim sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you at the event.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi Warren, European or in this case UK plywood have thinner “plys” than what we see here in general use in North America. I was told this by an old Irishman who was a carpenter who also had a Tiger. If you look at the stock plywood trunk false floor you will also see the much thinner plys also.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Considering how much battery acid was leaked out of pre-maintenance-free batteries, it seems that it would be hard to identify the species of wood, especially the piece on the trunk floor. When I got my Tiger in 1970 (sold new in California in 1968), paint was already missing from some spots on the floor and some holes had been eaten through within a couple of years.

Warren

Gold forum user
Hi Warren, European or in this case UK plywood have thinner “plys” than what we see here in general use in North America. I was told this by an old Irishman who was a carpenter who also had a Tiger. If you look at the stock plywood trunk false floor you will also see the much thinner plys also.
My point exactly, the point of diminishing returns and reconstructive archeology on these car parts is rather ridiculous. Yeah I'm sorry I threw away the delaminated plywood pieces that I have but I kept the three pieces that were screwed up against the side wall of the trunk. It's obvious I know nothing about Dendrology but I can usually tell a light hard wood from a dark hard wood ;)

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
From what I have heard from original pieces and UK wood in the day, Baltic Birch plywood was used under the tray and “Beech” was used and fastened to the side of the frame. Others have stated that they had found wood like mahogany and oak in this application. Again was it what they had on hand and just cut to size and installed?
Beech was a common frame component for other makes run thru the common factories, as was Baltic birch. These scraps would have been hangin' around anyway.