Sunbeam Tiger long distance rally

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
So ex-BTCC work driver and historic rally champion Patrick Watts has entered the Peking to Paris rally.

You can track his progress by following on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/pam_patrick_peking2paris/

And there is GPS tracking on the event website. He is car 71.
https://hero.3sgroup.co.uk/

mmexport1716033710135.jpg

mmexport1716033707444.jpg

mmexport1716033705268.jpg

mmexport1716033702601.jpg

mmexport1716033700144.jpg

mmexport1716033697932.jpg

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Do Ya suppose they will still be speaking after being that close together fer all them miles ? Just sayin'

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Do Ya suppose they will still be speaking after being that close together fer all them miles ? Just sayin'
Well Patrick is a very competitive guy...who wanted to finish high up in the event .. but a navigational error on day 2 has put paid to that... But...to quote Pam "he didn't tell when he would have been justified too" .. so I'm guessing all good.

They are making good progress and I believe the navigator is getting much better at the average speed tables and maps... So there is hope.

That said... Loud car... Hardtop... Rough roads... So maybe they can vent their frustration without fear šŸ˜œ

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sure will be bangin' out that air filter often !
You'd be surprised actually... The motor has a big foam filter over the top of a cotton filter that's a top and side breathing one.

Patrick was dyno'ing the motor with the outer filter on and off... As a test he asked the dyno operator to block 60% of it .. didn't impact the power at all... So it's either so restricted already with 2.. or it's not a good filter šŸ˜œ

The motor has a touch over 400bhp

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Some progress shots of the rally.
Patrick and Pam has to render assistance late last week to the crew of a 1930 Lagonda that rolled in the desert , the navigator was badly injured when the car dug into the sand. I'm not sure on his status but it wasn't good.
Patrick has made up time after a troubled first few days... Doing well.

p2p-24-wb-al0w3623jpg.jpg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Another update... Patrick has been pushing on.. but the car has hit it's first proper issue.

The car punched one of the rear shocks through the mount in the body and a spot weld on the sump baffles caused a leak... Patrick was fabricating a repair for the rear shock in the desert and sorting the leaking sump.

mmexport1716797886895.jpg

Agent 861

Gold forum user
CAT Member
What a Blast -wish I could be there-I once spoke to someone who did it in a Ford Model A of all things -There was mention of a payment of US$10,000 to "grease the wheels"thoughout the trip -ie to be used as bribes .

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
What a Blast -wish I could be there-I once spoke to someone who did it in a Ford Model A of all things -There was mention of a payment of US$10,000 to "grease the wheels"thoughout the trip -ie to be used as bribes .
Not sure when they did it, but the there's no need for under the table stuff these days

I know a guy who did the 2019 even in his classic Alfa...broke about everything once on the journey..he was an experienced long distance rally driver and had done similar events in his +8 Morgan

A blog of his journey

https://avantialfap2p.blogspot.com/?m=1

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Another update... Patrick has been pushing on.. but the car has hit it's first proper issue.

The car punched one of the rear shocks through the mount in the body and a spot weld on the sump baffles caused a leak... Patrick was fabricating a repair for the rear shock in the desert and sorting the leaking sump.

View attachment 19447
What distance have they covered so far? The car I have that has some racing history out of the dealer in the D.C. area has a steel plate that looks to be 1/4 inch thick that is welded underneath the top shock mounting area and runs the full width between the frame rails.

Agent 861

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Not sure when they did it, but the there's no need for under the table stuff these days

I know a guy who did the 2019 even in his classic Alfa...broke about everything once on the journey..he was an experienced long distance rally driver and had done similar events in his +8 Morgan

A blog of his journey

https://avantialfap2p.blogspot.com/?m=1
Michael was a long time ago probably at least 10 years-I remember one picture they took of a local in Mongolia filling their gas tank while enjoying a cigarette -Karl

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
So despite having to do a desert rebuild on the rear suspension.. the Watt's are up and running again.. great perseverance.

The father son Volvo 121 amazon team ( who own the kamn tailed ex-works alpine ) helped sort them out.

They are into Xinjiang now... Push on!

mmexport1716947922860.jpg

mmexport1716947924801.jpg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
So the Watts's have made it into Kazakhstan, but not without a few more challenges.

The bronze distributor drive gear sheared.. but they got another off the elec ignition distributor that had failed on day 2.

They have a right rear shock mounted now.. but still left side is loose... Certainly testing the car and team.

mmexport1717130159377.jpg

mmexport1717130157322.jpg

mmexport1717130163020.jpg

mmexport1717130164625.jpg

mmexport1717130327250.jpg

Last edited:

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
What I find amazing is how the competitors seem willing to helping one another.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
So the rally is out of China and into Kazakhstan... And some very period style Tiger rally roads through mountains...

Patrick patched the rera suspension mounts and has fitted some truck shock absorbers..

He was hounding up through the mountains and making up time... When he hit a pothole existing a hairpin ... Now only 1 spare wheel and 1 spare tyre.

007750-p2p-2024-bp.jpg

Classic-&-Sports-Car-Sunbeam-Tigers-on-the-Rallye-Monte-Carlo-Rootes-reunion-15 (1).png

mmexport1717325331214.jpg

mmexport1717325359758.jpg