Horn hole cover modification.

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Here is what Edelbrock has to say on their web site :

Edelbrock High Performance Water Pumps
Edelbrock Victor Series water pumps provide maximum cooling for the street and the race track. They're ideal to prevent overheating in street rods and street machines, as well as in tow rigs and motorhomes. Using state-of-theart racing technology, Edelbrock has designed these "super cooling" water pumps to provide maximum flow, maximum pressure and equal distribution to both sides of the engine block within 1%. Available for most popular applications, these high-performance pumps flow in only one direction for optimum efficiency. The casting's computer-designed internal passages and precision powdered metal impeller produce the maximum flow rate possible. Standard and reverse rotation pumps are available for most Chevrolets, Fords, and Chryslers.

They balance the the flow on both sides of the block within 1%.....

Duke. If you move coolant thru the radiator slowly then the heat build up in the heads and cylinder region get over heated and you produce steam and hot spots. You can't move coolant thru a radiator so fast that it becomes ineffient
in a small block Ford engine in fact faster is better and more effient...

Moondoggie

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Duke. If you move coolant thru the radiator slowly then the heat build up in the heads and cylinder region get over heated and you produce steam and hot spots. You can't move coolant thru a radiator so fast that it becomes ineffient
in a small block Ford engine in fact faster is better and more effient...

Moondoggie

OK.......ok...........thanks guys, will take a look at the pump.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Duke,

The Kirkham brothers make a slick turkey pan for their Cobras (see picture) when the dust settles
this winter I may have them make a Tpan to fit my Tiger...just need to spend
some time getting the demensions together.

Moondoggie

My fab guy is looking at making me a turkey pan for my car, I want to bring in cool air for the carb and not use the hot engine compartment air. I will let you know what we come up with.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My fab guy is looking at making me a turkey pan for my car, I want to bring in cool air for the carb and not use the hot engine compartment air. I will let you know what we come up with.

Think buck posted a pic of the one in the SCF car.. IIRC it was one of the ones available from the cobra replica suppliers that they offer for the 427 cars and maybe some others.

Might be a place to start.

chirodoc

Gold forum user
Horn cover modification

As the TE/AE article states the cooling problems with tigers is air flow related.
Runnibng hotter at freeway speeds would indicate lack of airflow. One possible solution is an air dam. An air dam on domestic cars isn't for airodynamic downforse, but to create a negative pressure zone behind the radiator. I built an air dam and scoop mockup out of card board for the trip to the !st Midwest Tiger Club gathering in Chicago. Had no problems till the return trip when we encountered a torential down pour. After the downpour the Tiger ran 15 degrees hotter. The scoop and air dam was distroyed by soaking the card board and air passing under the crossmember, When I built my HIPO 289 I used a damaged plastic air dam off my wife's Buick. I attached the air dam to the swaybar with hose clamps. I used some leftover hot water heater pipe insulating foam to fill the gap between the bottom of the radiator and the crossmember. It works. It runs 170 drees with a 180 degree themostat on the freeway.

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
I've been struggling with the lack of a cup holder.

Glad to hear there was something useful. BTW if you do a search for cup holders I'm sure you'll find a much simpler one that works better than mine. I was just goofing around for the looks.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Cup Holders ?

Glad to hear there was something useful. BTW if you do a search for cup holders I'm sure you'll find a much simpler one that works better than mine. I was just goofing around for the looks.

Interviewing cupholders for a Tiger requires that they be silent, steady, and fearless. Extra points for a flat spot on top of the head for parking lot usage.

67tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I use my own horn hole block plates, with my 302, derale 15 inch fan, FAN SHROWD, a dose of water weter additive, 50/50 coolant to water ratio, lat scooped hood, and I run at 178-185 degrees max. I can make my block plates available but I'm currently sold out......

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Received the hinges. So, should it be hinged at the top or bottom? Meaning air will enter initially directed at hood or bottom of engine compartment.

I am leaning toward a bottom hinge as this would push air towards the carb.

Last edited:

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Yeah the bottom makes more sense as it takes less energy
to push down as opposed to pushing up..

Moondoggie

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Cool beans....will get the doors built this Sat. Will try to get my camera in there for some live action of them opening under speed.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Duke... you are likely to open them with just the acceleration pinning them back every time you leave the lights...

make sure you put a little foam/rubber stop on the front apron so you dont hear them bangning/tapping on the body as they retrun.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
004-23.jpg

005-19.jpg

Last edited:

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
002-44.jpg

001-44.jpg

Video - http://youtu.be/DDpIfUrG5ZI

This is at speeds 60-70MPH. You can see the door is opening about an inch or so. Will look into reducing the spring tension some. My ideal would be that it starts opening ~30 mph and is full open at 80 mph.

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
How about adding some weight to the top so it falls easier at speed...
a couple or quarters taped at the top might do it. We could also probably come up with a closed loop servo system coupled to the speedo cable rotation
like they do with some of the cruise control systems.....Or....you could put in for a transfer to the Monterey Naval post graduate school here in Carmel were it never gets hotter than 80 degrees in the summer time and you won't have to deal with this stuff..........

Moondoggie

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
How about adding some weight to the top so it falls easier at speed...
a couple or quarters taped at the top might do it. We could also probably come up with a closed loop servo system coupled to the speedo cable rotation
like they do with some of the cruise control systems.....Or....you could put in for a transfer to the Monterey Naval post graduate school here in Carmel were it never gets hotter than 80 degrees in the summer time and you won't have to deal with this stuff..........

Moondoggie
Weights is an awesome idea. Have to put the camera back in there to fine tune the weight. I could also put the weight on the outside to hide them.

NPS is a possibility.