POSSIBLE FANTASY

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
What a nice way to end the year.. your first Tiger. Enjoy putting many happy miles on it and black lines on the tarmac :cool:

TigerJunC

Bronze forum user
Wheel problem

Today my dealer phoned that the wheel holes were drilled out. Car has been on these wheels most of her life. Probably Alpine wheels "converted" to fit the Tiger, he told me. Anybody seen this before?

I think changing them to Minilites would be the best opion. I dont want to fit too large models. What is the best opion to preserve the classic car look. 14 or 15 inch?
Tire width's about 195

drbill

Gold forum user
Today my dealer phoned that the wheel holes were drilled out. Car has been on these wheels most of her life. Probably Alpine wheels "converted" to fit the Tiger, he told me. Anybody seen this before?

I think changing them to Minilites would be the best opion. I dont want to fit too large models. What is the best opion to preserve the classic car look. 14 or 15 inch?
Tire width's about 195

I don't think the holes were drilled out on your wheels. I have a set of Dan Gurney wheels, similar to the LAT 70, which have those oblong holes in them. That's how they are made.
Mine are 13 inch. I like they way they look. I think going to a large rim size is personal preference.

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
...Car has been on these wheels most of her life. Probably Alpine wheels "converted" to fit the Tiger, he told me. Anybody seen this before?

Are the bolt patterns different between Alpine and Tiger? If so, that's the first I've ever heard of it (which doesn't make it not true).

Regards,
John.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
No Problem

Those are very common radius slots and do not affect the installation or use at all. It does require that all four shoulder-type lugs be in place before snugging and torque for proper centering. Alpine/Tiger 4-bolt hubs are the same pattern. amen

TigerJunC

Bronze forum user
Thanks for educating me, Gentlemen!

I will educate my dealer. There are very few Tigers here in Holland. So I dont hold it against him:)
I will stick to the 13 inch then. I really likes those on a Tiger.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
The unilug wheels were quite popular back in the day as they were able to fit many applications without having to make a ton of different bolt patterns on the same wheel. To change the look a little it I would search for a different center cap, maybe a flush fit or even a minilite or panasport cap.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
As mentioned the alpine and tiger share the same stud spacing 4.25"/108mm (also in common with porsche 924, many UK forgs, some mustangs and saabs) There is talk of differences in the early tiger steel wheels compared to SIV Alpine wheels with strengthening ribs on the centres near the studs, but many later alpines also seem to have them, maybe a running change.

As for size, 13' is original, and you need to run a tall trye to fill the wheel arch, I like 14: as they fill the guards better and look nice with a 195/60 but you dont really notice they are not stock.Many people go 15" wheels now, but the design and tyre ultimately determines if those begin to look a bit resto mod or period.

Fordlandia

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Question Re. "Numbers Matching" Engine...

I noticed that Fantasy Junction described the car (in the original listing) as having a "numbers matching" 289. With respect to 289's supplied with the Mark II (or to the 260's supplied with the earlier models for that matter) I was under the impression that there really isn't any way to prove that a given engine is the one originally supplied with the car. Granted, casting dates etc could prove that it was not an original engine... but I am not aware that there is any definitive way to establish a "numbers matching" claim.

Is my understanding correct or have I missed something?

Regards,

Bill

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
"Numbers" on valve cover

Bill's right. Rootes assigned #### and placed the engine number on the valve cover. Which could be covering valve train on any engine with windser heads.

Anytime you see "numbers correct" in a Tiger ad? Be skeptical because it shows something missing in the way of knowledge of Tigers by the seller at a minimum. Misleading intentionally at worst.

slypops

Gold forum user
Very pleased with the 13" Panasports that came on my car. Even my "ballin" "24 inch lovin" son made the statement the 13s matched the Tiger. Bigger is always better mentality I guess.. Kudos to takin' your car so far from home;very few Tigers in lower AL. as well. Wish we had a branch of Meaco Motorsports here as well! Enjoy learning your Tiger.

Warren

Gold forum user
Comfort

13s with a taller sidewall can be more comfortable. Since you are a MK2
guy probably want to stick with the 13 look despite the limited tire choices out there.
14 is a popular choice and the look is much closer than the wagon wheel rubber band look.
I suppose if you have the space you'll have show and go sets of tires and wheels

The writer of the for sale was a car salesman.
What would impress us pointy headed nit pickers would have been a build date pic on the block as well as other period correct numbers carburetor tag,rack stamping,distributor dated etc. In the car world build date stampings are highly sought after and highly copied.
With Tigers the only thing to be probable to tie a block to the car is the build date showing yr. month and inspectors initial. Castings in block cover a far greater period of a year if not years. Please post the car pics in its new digs.

TigerJunC

Bronze forum user
Small update:

Yesterday the car went up for it's Dutch registration certificate. The officer didn't issue one! He wasn't sure that the attached VIN plate belonged to the car. The rivits were too new, in his opinion. He needed some prove.

Hope he'll accept the fact that the car has been registered in Norm's database and that I have a STOA certificate.

Furthermore the 13" wheels will be switched for 15" Minilite's. A steering joint seems to just scrape the 13". Hopefully the handling of the car will improve also. New wheels will be delivered in app 4 weeks time......
Bought the car in october last year........ Anyway the weather here is snow and below freezingpoint, so cant drive it anyway. I have to keep my Tiger dreams alive a little bit longer:)

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
I think you will like the 15 inch wheels. What rim width are you getting? I think a 195/50/R15 tire on a 6 inch wide rim works quite nicely on the front. Reasonably comfortable ride and can still get tires with reasonably sporting performance IMHO.

As you noticed with the 13 inch wheels, the backside measurement is pretty important for clearance. What is that measurement for the wheels you are getting?

You might also want to check the clearance of the upper A-Arm to inside wheel rim. With the 15 inch rims I have for my autocross tires, the upper A-Arm almost touches the side of the wheel when I have the car on jack stands and the wheel is at full downward movement. I ended up getting 3mm spacers and grinding some "stamping flash" off the tip of the A-Arms.

Hope things get worked out for you with the title bureaucracy soon.:D

Gene

TigerJunC

Bronze forum user
I think you will like the 15 inch wheels. What rim width are you getting? I think a 195/50/R15 tire on a 6 inch wide rim works quite nicely on the front. Reasonably comfortable ride and can still get tires with reasonably sporting performance IMHO.

As you noticed with the 13 inch wheels, the backside measurement is pretty important for clearance. What is that measurement for the wheels you are getting?

You might also want to check the clearance of the upper A-Arm to inside wheel rim. With the 15 inch rims I have for my autocross tires, the upper A-Arm almost touches the side of the wheel when I have the car on jack stands and the wheel is at full downward movement. I ended up getting 3mm spacers and grinding some "stamping flash" off the tip of the A-Arms.

Hope things get worked out for you with the title bureaucracy soon.:D

Gene

15"x6 front and back. I'm not looking forward grinding parts of my car....:( :)

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I am running 15x6 and 7's with 205 and 225/50 tires on my car with no rub issue.

Have your lips been rolled or trimmed on the rear, has the front valence been trimmed? Many of the cars have been modified lightly in the past to prevent such issues, many stock cars when going to wider wheels come into clearance problems, and if the car has slightly settled springs.. can be more of an issue... results may vary.

Warren

Gold forum user
Vin

If our New Zeland guys will chime.in , they will affirm that their Dept. Of Motor Vehicles puts their own vin tag with their special rivets on.

I think a non removable tag is a pretty good idea.

Just as we type there is a eBay listing that is offering at Alpine clone and a Tiger title in a 2 for 1.

I share the worry that US states can be too lax on their rules.
There is nothing stopping the attachment of the tag and title this seller is hawking to another car.

I am sure you are not the first guy to have such a problem. Dam near every restored car out there has a restored tag.

Chill it will settle .

Warren

Gold forum user
Either

Really a lot of cars and web based mfg. who do vin tags or data plates. Google Boyd Cottington and read the story of 1 guy making cars.

It is a supply and demand thing as the Chevy's and Fords and many other large production number vehicles, minis....
To reproduce a replica Sunbeam tag with a silk screened paint lettering would be tough.
What is done is a rub on static letter set over a tag as many have lost the "For parts information please quote" from overspray,weather,or carelessness.

I hope you do not get me wrong, as I was commenting only on the practice where data plates, get replaced.

As for an original rivet discussion I'd refer you to the other Tiger sites where that topic is like a hot topic.

A casual search of this site will show a replaced vin tag with trophy shop engraved numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.