POSSIBLE FANTASY

Status
Not open for further replies.

grelley

Silver forum user
Tag

The tag that is fitted in New Zealand is for modified vehicles. When a car is brought across the border into NZ the vin number is entered into a data base. When it is time to register the vehicle for road use, the number (which should be the original VIN no) is entered onto the new ownership papers. If the vehicle has been modified in any way it must undergo a check to see that the modifications are to a suitable standard. The modifications are then stamped onto a Modified Vehicle plate and attached to the bulkhead. This is checked every 6 months when the vehicle is put through a Warrent of Fitness check (mechanical)

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Untrained Maulings

The tag that is fitted in New Zealand is for modified vehicles. When a car is brought across the border into NZ the vin number is entered into a data base. When it is time to register the vehicle for road use, the number (which should be the original VIN no) is entered onto the new ownership papers. If the vehicle has been modified in any way it must undergo a check to see that the modifications are to a suitable standard. The modifications are then stamped onto a Modified Vehicle plate and attached to the bulkhead. This is checked every 6 months when the vehicle is put through a Warrent of Fitness check (mechanical)

I love the phrasing of "Warrant of Fitness" . Our bureaucracies allow for inspections every 2 years on limited use antiques. The truely expensive problem is that none of todays inspectors have any clue how to work without damaging the toys. Twice, I've sued our DMV for damage; and once, we caught a state employed youth giving his buddies joy rides in an owner's prized baby. No respect and no accountability (todays gummint).

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Cloud Nine

Heaven relatively speaking here in California. No semi annual, annual, or bi-annual safety/mechanical inspections in CA.

Only emissions testing and our Tigers are exempt .;)

Rick

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user

My Tiger got given a new vin when I had it inspected after importing it from Germany. It is a RHD car though. It now carries the original vin plate, the German vin plate with the same vin #. It's vin is stamped into the body as thats what they did in Europe and now the NZ vin# plate.

TigerJunC

Bronze forum user
Here in Holland the story goes on.........
Our RDW is giving me a headache. Because off removing the vin tag during restauration, they dont "trust" the car anymore. We also had to show them the VIN number on the original gearbox and motor. Yesterday we did that and still they weren't convinced. They are deliberating now......... 3 weeks on and still trouble..... I showed them the STOA certificate, told them about Norm and the known history of the car. What more do i have to do.......:confused:
The pissed off feeling is turning in dispair and pure fear:eek:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hmmmmmm

Here in Holland the story goes on.........
Our RDW is giving me a headache. Because off removing the vin tag during restauration, they dont "trust" the car anymore. We also had to show them the VIN number on the original gearbox and motor. Yesterday we did that and still they weren't convinced. They are deliberating now......... 3 weeks on and still trouble..... I showed them the STOA certificate, told them about Norm and the known history of the car. What more do i have to do.......:confused:
The pissed off feeling is turning in dispair and pure fear:eek:

Not to stir up an ugly history, but are these guys wearing brown shirts??:mad:

TigerJunC

Bronze forum user
Not to stir up an ugly history, but are these guys wearing brown shirts??:mad:

:D:D:D
I always refer to that breed as "little Hitlers". They really are ignorand about classic cars, frustrated and compensate that with powerplay.
Still, you're dependent on there verdict........
Stupid thing is that another official checked an Alpine V a week before and gave the Title rightaway. That makes me even more frustrated.... They judge classic cars by gutfeeling and not by a set of rules.
Nothing today, hopefully tomorrow.....

67 Tiger

Gold forum user
What dont they "trust"? Do they think the car was stolen? Are they concerend that it is not a real Tiger? Here in Calif. ,if there is a question about the VIN., you can get a bond written for the value, and if someone claims that is their car, there is money to cover it. I had to do this for a car I bought about 20 years ago, that the original pink slip was lost. Do you have insurance guys that do that? I know the frustration of having regestion problems. It SUCKS.

TigerJunC

Bronze forum user
What dont they "trust"? Do they think the car was stolen? Are they concerend that it is not a real Tiger? Here in Calif. ,if there is a question about the VIN., you can get a bond written for the value, and if someone claims that is their car, there is money to cover it. I had to do this for a car I bought about 20 years ago, that the original pink slip was lost. Do you have insurance guys that do that? I know the frustration of having regestion problems. It SUCKS.

Because the chassis doen't have a VIN number engraved, the only identification possible is the VIN number plate. That plate has been removed during restauration and now has new rivets. So he's asking us "can you prove that this VIN plate belongs to this car". I showed him the STOA certificate and he still wasn't convinced. Then we showed him the original gearbox and motor, both having the correct numbers shown on the certificate. I told him the car is registered in Norm's registry and that the history is known.
Now he's conferring with the other "little H's".....
We'll see what he thinks of next. He's just following procedures in a very rigid way, with no perspective with reality. Hope he's getting his kicks....:p

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
For future reference would it be a good idea to stamp the vin somewhere on the body to prove to them it's the real deal? Bulkhead, firewall, underdash, etc....Just a thought.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
On the SI and SII Alpines rootes stamped the VIN on the ledge on the firewall below the scuttle... if only they had kept doing that for all alpines and done it on the tigers we would be in a much better place today.

Warren

Gold forum user
Amen Brother, Time for a survey?

On the SI and SII Alpines rootes stamped the VIN on the ledge on the firewall below the scuttle... if only they had kept doing that for all alpines and done it on the tigers we would be in a much better place today.

What a time for a survey, all of us get together and state the status of our rivets.

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater comes to mind, even though that was done because the children were done last in the Old West. Not that the water was so dirty
you could not see the children.

Probably 7 out of 10 would not get into your country, with a hole like that in charge.

Last edited:

TigerJunC

Bronze forum user
Gentlemen, thnx for your support and input!

IF the car should pass, then the VIN number will be stamped into the chassis by the RDW Official.

Should have done that in the States when I bought the car!! Much less trouble!

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I wonder if you had stamped a piece of metal with the VIN, used double sided tape to stick it to the chassis rail and then painted it so that it looks as though it was a raised area on the rail for the vin if they would have been ok.. it would look like a specific area they stamp and might avoid the problems.. and all you haven't had to actually stamp the metal.

TigerJunC

Bronze forum user
Today would be the day!!!!
But.......
Late in the afternoon the official replied by email that he couldn't decide and wants the back for the third time........... Then he'll inspect the car with a colleaque.
He's to chicken to decide by himself........

Those people really drives you insane:eek::eek::eek::eek:
7 more days of agony....:mad:
Costs spiraling out of control too. I'm really very pissed off!

I'm going with the dealer this time. Hope i can control myself.

TigerJunC

Bronze forum user
Just received the apraissal report. $122.000,-
Because finding a good left-hand drive Tiger here on the Continent is looking for a needle in a haystack, prizes are higher then in the States. Even more so for a MKII.
Happy about the apraissal. Hopefully the RDW will give the car it's Dutch registration on friday on showing them this report. Yet an other reason that the car is legit.

TigerJunC

Bronze forum user
YESSSSSSSS
Finally a good end to the registration drama. They approved the car!!
The car scored 111 of a total of 215 points on there "registration list". 52%
Really dont know what kind of list this is, but i dont care anymore. Now some good weather:)

slypops

Gold forum user
Gov't Hoops

Congrats! Went through similiar gov't hoops in Fla! Cali added 66 for the first two of the ID on the title and the inspector loved all the alpha letters. Will never forget his quote coming out from the hood "This isn't even close!!! And nowhere does it say "Roots" on the car." (Cali spelling for Rootes) He goosestepped inside (Luckily) to a more mature employee that said "back in the day we put the car yr. or whatever to fill the spaces on the title!" She and her husband owned sev old cars thank goodness! 2 minutes and all fixed! Now go enjoy the Tiger!

Status
Not open for further replies.