POSSIBLE FANTASY

Status
Not open for further replies.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Gvmt Hurdles

I'm aware of a rescued wreck that will be facing registration hurdles this spring. I have provided some ownership history and am personally convinced that it is what it is supposed to be. However, the damage was extensive and the Vin Tag was both marred and moved. Sooooo, it will be a good but frustrating time for the new owner fer sure . . . . . . .

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Congrats! Went through similiar gov't hoops in Fla! Cali added 66 for the first two of the ID on the title and the inspector loved all the alpha letters. Will never forget his quote coming out from the hood "This isn't even close!!! And nowhere does it say "Roots" on the car." (Cali spelling for Rootes) He goosestepped inside (Luckily) to a more mature employee that said "back in the day we put the car yr. or whatever to fill the spaces on the title!" She and her husband owned sev old cars thank goodness! 2 minutes and all fixed! Now go enjoy the Tiger!

Sounds familiar ... My Texas title from the P.O. had the '66' ... also , apparently they only use 4 letters for 'Make' so that was 'ROOT' !! No area on the title for 'model' ... just 'body style' stated as '2D'

I also had a copy of one his old insurance papers and that had the misprint 663B2000... on it !! :eek:

Was quite the hassle getting that all changed before having it shipped up to Canada...:rolleyes:

Jim
B382000446

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
Congrats! Now go enjoy the Tiger!

+2!:D

I had a Brit M/C as my main transportation until I bought the Tiger then the bike found a home in the back of the garage. Tiger wound up being stored also many years later for several years. When I decided to get the Tiger back on the road I went to Auto Club to re-register. I wound up having to pay all the back registrations and late fees because I couldn't prove it was non-op.

When I got the urge to ride the M/C again I expected to pay those back fees again but bike had dropped off the DMV books. Found out if I had waited 6 more months the Tiger would have dropped off the books as well and wouldn't have required payment of all those back fees.

I could understand the DMV not informing me but kind of irked the Auto Club didn't give me a heads-up to wait the few months to save paying the fees. But as it turned out it may have been a good thing.

Since the M/C had gone missing from DMV records I had to take it to the Highway Patrol to have it authenticated and verify it wasn't stolen. Had the pink slip, last registration in hand and showed the VIN stamped into into a plate incorporated into the frame. Their two question were how do we know it wasn't stolen when I bought it or that the VIN hadn't just been stamped into the frame?

I grabbed a book showing a pic of the VIN in just the same location. As I took the cleared registration from the pass through slot I asked if they had verified if the VIN plate was of the correct thickness? The officers head turned at that funny angle when the gears inside started to turn. I didn't ask, since the VIN was in the correct location if that meant the bike hadn't been stolen?

So with the Tiger it was unfortunate that I went and paid all those fees but in the end it may have paid off as when the car was painted I was asked if it would be OK to remove tags? I was told they had the correct rivets but as it turned out they weren't correct and only learned this recently. I wasn't aware of the surety bond option so the fees paid may have been the best option.

So pay up or do the time as long as we get to drive our cars it's all good.

TigerJunC

Bronze forum user
Thanks, gents!!

"Good" to see that i'm not the only one haven trouble with registration. That lessens the (financial) pain :)

I'm really looking forward driven her......... cant wait

TigerJunC

Bronze forum user
HOME!

Yesterday the car arrived at it's destination after a 5 month "vacation". Bought in Oct '12, delivered in March '13.
She looks lovely with the new wheels.
During delivery I wanted to take some pictures....but in the excitement I forgot:(

I just parked her in my garage, because of the weather....it was freezing cold. Too cold to enjoy a drive. First I want to get to know the car. Now I dont even know how to ajust the seats......:eek:

It has been a long wait, but worthwhile!

TigerJunC

Bronze forum user
Old and new love

My 31 year-old love and my new love together.

I drove the Tiger, wife and son drove the MG (son driving). My wife complained that the Tiger sounds a bit loud in a tunnel.......:eek: (very strange phenomenon: in tunnels my gear is stuck in second and my right foot doesn't want to disconnect from the floorboard)
For our HP-freak Duke ;): In the background my everyday driver, Audi MTM RS6 (700 Hp)
I thought the RS6 liked petrol, but the Tiger likes it even more....:(

201304211517472.jpg

As for driving the Tiger,
When braking and rather high speed, the car starts shaking. Could that be that some disc's aren't straight anymore? Brake pedal seems to be OK, no shaking there.....
I also smell petrol in the cockpit while driving. Mixture too rich?
Have to fix those! Any suggestions?

All-in-all; The car begs to be driver fast and furious. Doesn't like to throttle around. It's a rare car in Holland. Very few people know the car, let alone the brand. So they drive right up (almost in) your boot to read the logo :eek:

20130421160919.jpg

New love on her new 15 inchers. A small piece of the front bodywork had to be removed for creating enough clearance.

img2481a.jpg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
really nice pics.. and sure would be a rare cat over your way. The Rs6 is a monster... remember the TG review of that.. wow.

As for the petrol smell.. it might be running a bit rich.. but they tend to have a fuel smell.. its a carburetored car.. but things to check:

1. Are all the grommets present int he firewall?

2. There is a fuel air balance tube that runs from tank to tank across the top of the boot bellow the scuttle.. it is is missing, off at an end, perished or has been pierced it will give a fuel smell.

3. Check the rubber joins between the fuel cross over pip at the back of the boot between the interior panels and the rear valence, make sure they are not weeping.

if that doesn't fix it, make sure you drive with the roof off, fresh air scuttle vents open and dont lift that right foot! :D

slypops

Gold forum user
Two iconic British cars

My first British car was a chrome bumper MGB, sadly long gone; and second, the Tiger. Your cars look really good together. I agree with 1,2 & 3 of Michaels list. I do not have a petrol smell in my Tiger so something is wrong. I had a pinhole leak in a car's gastank once (top) (a 66 mustang) and the aroma was intense in the cabin. A small pinhole! Put on your Sherlock Holmes hat and track it down!

Last edited:

TigerJunC

Bronze forum user
poor man's meets "rich"man's

During a Classic Cars rally yesterday I couldnt resist making this photo.

My gearbox gave me some trouble. When warmed-up, with engine running it's almost impossible to engage any gear when you when to car is standing still. Switch the enigine off, select gear, turn engine on again; is the only solution. During driving shifting gear gives no problems.
What can be the cause? No problems when the enigine/gearbox is/are cold.

As for the fuel smell. Everything suggested by you has been checked and found to be OK.

Jeroen

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Difficult gear engagement sounds more like a clutch hydraulics problem. Would check the proper operation/sealing of the slave cylinder at first...

Coolvt

Bronze forum user
Strange that if the car has a 5 speed why it has a 4 speed shift knob.
Would be interesting to watch someone drive it. Would never get into 5th gear or reverse. (There is a black 5 speed knob available that looks exactly like the stock 4 speed knob).
Maybe this one was changed to 5 speed after the picture?
Mark L

slypops

Gold forum user
Heat is always the enemy

Clutch is def dragging, hence the worse effect when running. Make sure the carpet in not in the way allowing the clutch to go completely to the floor(metal/metal). I went to a slightly larger bore Master cyl from Ohio (rec by SS) and it improved a little. Carefully move the hyd line away from the exhaust as it snakes to the slave, (very close quarters). Maybe someone else can recommend a different fluid to handle the heat. The 1st 3 fixed mine, but wasn't severe. GOOD LUCK! Keep us posted!

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Who's Real

During a Classic Cars rally yesterday I couldnt resist making this photo.
Jeroen

Since most Cobras these days are from kits, consider that your car may be the "real" one in the photo.
As for the gearbox issue; I would look to the slave travel with heated fluids before exploring any further. I'm not fond of synthetics, but it could offer a solution . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.