Kens Tiger - B9471532

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Oh yeah

Funny, if you never had to adjust your handbrake (like me), I never looked at that piece as many times as I've jacked up the rear end from the pumpkin. I suppose if I ever got my car up on a lift instead of crawling around on my belly I'd notice a lot of stuff LOL! BTW, the piece on my '66 looks a little different than yours...

norm1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Lifts are Great!!!!!

Funny, if you never had to adjust your handbrake (like me), I never looked at that piece as many times as I've jacked up the rear end from the pumpkin. I suppose if I ever got my car up on a lift instead of crawling around on my belly I'd notice a lot of stuff LOL! BTW, the piece on my '66 looks a little different than yours...

KenF

Gold forum user
I've got a set of new black STEEL (not aluminum) California plates on the way. :)

I'm thinking when I take the car to the DMV for a VIN check, which I need to do since the car has dropped out of the DMV system, I can leave the old original plate on the back and put one of the new ones bolted in place under the front bumper, inconvenient to get a close look at (not that it would matter). Then it would fall under the "Retention of old license plates" rule, not the YOM method that costs more each year. I've got the original 1975 title with the EJY 543 plate on it. If that fails, which I don't think it will, I can always go the YOM route.

Under the California DMV YOM License plate rules, it states:

Retention of Old License Plates (not YOM license plates) on Collector Vehicles
Under specific circumstances, DMV may allow a car collector to retain the old license plates that were originally assigned to the vehicle.

The original or photocopy of the California title or registration showing the plate number originally assigned to that vehicle must be submitted with the application.

The plate configuration:
— Must be available.
— Not in a series reserved for issuance as any other plate series.
Check with your local DMV office.

IMG_4662.jpg

IMG_4681.jpg

Doug C

Gold forum user
I see in the photo that it has the stickers - as I understand it these must be also on the plate.

Warren

Gold forum user
Several hours

Into the DMV fiasco. I have written a Tiger Tales piece about my fun at CHP and the department....

It has taken since Sept. 11 for them to process my paperwork.

From several motorcycles and several Tigers I have somewhat of a grasp on their play book, standard operating procedure w/e

Starting with suggestions,
If the VIN on pink has the year first sold, or the B left out fix that later.
I have two cars and seen 5 with 67B382XXXXXX with and without the LRXFE
which according to more than one CHP type should not be part of the VIN. More on the addition of the designation later.

Get a mobile VIN and registration service to perform the service the inspection and they can personally push the app thru without:
1 your first appointment to establish the new birthday of the car. That means the day California will get paid over the life of the car.

They start the paperwork which gets you permission to call the CHP and make an appointment and then tow them the car. More on the appointment later. Please call me as there are some pitfalls I'd like to help you avoid and not put on line. At the CHP you will possibly find some 30 something officer who will guide you into the back and then ask you to wait outside. Take or secure some doc's with you. The printed Sunbeam Specialties catalog showing build information. An article on VINs in T.T. by Brian G. and the differences. I have it in the file and took it and the information was welcomed by the officer you do not want them going to Wikipedia. Remember these guys are dealing with nefarious types everyday trying to slip past something. You and your car can be a breath of fresh air for them as mine was. The motor pool mechanic came over as did several shift change officers to say "wow that's great..."

Oops forgot to mention, when you make your first appointment for the DMV make a second a couple days later to complete the job. "if you do not use the registration service." The time I did it was the best 150 I ever spent on a car...

When back at DMV remind them and use the word Reassignment and suspended to Sacramento. As you mentioned they have to physically verify the old plates some how maybe by searching the old microfiche records and making sure some other clerk has not ordered a convict to stamp out a new black plate in ally in your number.

This process is a major PITA I have nearly 5 hours butt time in the DMV office waiting on my latest. I also have a back line number for "special Processing" which is where your paperwork will sit in a stack to the roof till they get to it.

I could not go with the lic. VIN inspector as the clerk and the supervisor said no way you have a correction so even though this fellow is a lic. inspector you gotta trailer the car there, "legally the car cannot be driven as out of system blah blah blah." All three of my Tigers are , No B, 67382..., and a B38 missing digit all with paperwork back to 1968 when first sold.

More to follow...

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I see in the photo that it has the stickers - as I understand it these must be also on the plate.

No, a sticker is required only if you are going the Year of Manufacture route. When my car was restored, it had not been registered in California for over 30 years. (It was never registered in another state, either.) I still had the title (pink slip). My license plates were restored along with the car and the stickers had been removed. However, I was able to register the car at the DMV. At first, they wanted to give me contemporary plates, but I pointed out that I have the original plates on the car and the pink slip showing the numbers. They took my old pink slip and eventually issued me a new title paper. I believe to use your original license plates, you need to have title with that license number. Otherwise, you will need to go YOM route.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Short Story

Registration SNAFU: When we had TAC #9 in San Diego before I shipped it back east, the DMV guys/gals were constantly on me about the NH plates & insurances. Somehow they knew the sale had taken place local and were chasing their piece of revenue. Fortunately, at the time, out of state purchases were exempt. But, we were not allowed to use our own shipper ??? Anyway, we had the best police protection for about three weeks.

Warren

Gold forum user
Peel off

If you don't peel off that January sticker they will charge you a whole year's fee if you register the car in November or December. Put both plates on for your CHP or inspection because they will note that the plates are on the car and it's January date. I'd delete the picture now big brother is watching....

You must have either a pink slip or an old registration showing that the plates actually belong to that car.
I have seen to thread some place on DMV dates and issuance of license plates in chronological order. I didn't really believe it until I compare Dave's number with mine and another car I just saw a recently. We have a YOM thread. Randy I believe that DMV forms have a field for sales tax paid in another state should've met that seller in Vegas :)

KenF

Gold forum user
No, a sticker is required only if you are going the Year of Manufacture route. When my car was restored, it had not been registered in California for over 30 years. (It was never registered in another state, either.) I still had the title (pink slip). My license plates were restored along with the car and the stickers had been removed. However, I was able to register the car at the DMV. At first, they wanted to give me contemporary plates, but I pointed out that I have the original plates on the car and the pink slip showing the numbers. They took my old pink slip and eventually issued me a new title paper. I believe to use your original license plates, you need to have title with that license number. Otherwise, you will need to go YOM route.

Yes, that's the way I understand it also. As you mention, you may have to explain their own rules back to them depending on who you get, or even escalate to next higher up to resolve. And there is a lot of "may" usage in the old plate rule verbage, which may give them the feeling they can do what they feel like at the moment, or depending on how you look, or how sassy you are to them.

Someone at DMV told me if there's no registration/title activity for 3 years, it drops the vehicle from their system, even non-ops.

Went to the Sacramento DMV a few weeks ago to transfer the title into our name, and since car was not drivable, and not in their system, and VIN is incorrect on the title, they said first step was the VIN needs to be verified by the CHP. So we drive over the freeway to the nearby CHP office to ask for an appointment. CHP says no, the DMV has it wrong, DMV needs to do that and start the paperwork first. So we go back over to the DMV to ask what's the skinny on this, and a different person says, right, you need to bring the car around the side of the DMV building and let one of our VIN verifiers establish the VIN. So, title is still in previous owners name and they didn't seem too concerned about having the title transferred to us within the normal 14 day period since we technically didn't have a drivable car to register. Maybe they've changed the rules recently.

I'm thinking of taking the car to the DMV once running, get in the VIN inspection line outside and let them do their thing, which I think is form REG-31. Also bring along Sunbeam VIN info docs as Warren suggests. I assume they give you the completed form to go inside to finish the registration process. If they don't get the VIN, year, make, etc. right, then come back another day and try again, or another DMV office.

KenF

Gold forum user
If you don't peel off that January sticker they will charge you a whole year's fee if you register the car in November or December. Put both plates on for your CHP or inspection because they will note that the plates are on the car and it's January date. I'd delete the picture now big brother is watching....

You must have either a pink slip or an old registration showing that the plates actually belong to that car.
I have seen to thread some place on DMV dates and issuance of license plates in chronological order. I didn't really believe it until I compare Dave's number with mine and another car I just saw a recently. We have a YOM thread. Randy I believe that DMV forms have a field for sales tax paid in another state should've met that seller in Vegas :)

Shoot, I probably won't get this thing back on the road until January anyway the way the engine shop is going. License plate shows on the title, which is almost the only correct info on the title. VIN shows as SUN669471532, a 66 Rootes.

Warren

Gold forum user
In line screen

I took a small screen fashioned it into a small cone that fit inside the brass fitting on the inlet side of the pump. I can't change the stock condition of the car even if it is stupid. Got it set so the car will just starve for fuel if I start getting dreaded epoxy flaking syndrome. There are some nice heat shields on the market.

More than one time on my old motorcycles the floats would stick and the raw fuel would dump on the hot mufflers. If Sochiro Honda was not too worried about it ;) But seriously I know there is enough rubber in that new fuel pump that should be protected from the heat. Go MK2 style and move it to the boot spare tire well unless you are in the same stock configuration mindset as me on my newest old car.

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Here are some pictures of a shield for the fuel pump made for me by my friend Tommy. It is attached at the rear sharing bolts with the muffler clamp. Since the front outlet for the muffler is offset, the attachment is by angle aluminum and hanger. Cliff

Attachments

• Shield1.jpg
    Shield1.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 146
  • Shield2.jpg
    Shield2.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 148

KenF

Gold forum user
Here are some pictures of a shield for the fuel pump made for me by my friend Tommy. It is attached at the rear sharing bolts with the muffler clamp. Since the front outlet for the muffler is offset, the attachment is by angle aluminum and hanger. Cliff

That's a nice looking setup! Especially if you don't want to wrap those pretty mufflers with a muffler wrap. And it's out of view when looking from the back.
I ordered the stock SS exhaust $ystem today. I may try a muffler wrap, perhaps this DEI kit (that 1 star review is a bit concerning :confused: ).
Probably run as is and get a baseline with my temp gun, then after install to see how well it works. But, may end up copying yours.

KenF

Gold forum user
SS Exhaust

Got the exhaust system from SS yesterday, and today did a trial fit to make sure everything slips together without the big hammer when the time comes to install. The system doesn't include the downpipes, so those are an extra $131, so $656 total. Ordered the rubber mounts and a pair of manifold donuts as well. Clamps are not included either, I ordered 6 of these from Summit, instead of u-bolt style.

IMG_4688.JPG

I slipped all pipes and mufflers together and marked a 2" line to be able to see how far pipe is inside the other. The only problem joints where the downpipes to the pieces going through the x-frame holes, which are flattened a bit to fit, which caused pipe to become slightly oval starting about a 1/2" in, preventing an easy fit. So, used the vice to make the first 2" round again, and also borrowed O-Reilly's tailpipe expander to open up the downpipes just a little.

IMG_4691.JPG

Also, it seemed the left downpipe wasn't fitting all the way into the manifold outlet, and the donut gasket wasn't getting compressed enough. Choice of die grinder inside manifold to clear, or cut off 1/8" off the pipe end that fits inside the manifold. Chose cutting. And it did look a bit longer than the right before cutting.

The middle muffler mount is adjustable fore-aft instead of welded on like original, which is better I think. Oh, I need to get bolts for those 2 mounts too.
IMG_4690.JPG

The tips look great and slide into the pipe to the muffler a lot to give you a bit of adjustment. It's shipped with a plastic protector.

IMG_4692.JPG

Verdict, so far, so good. But final fit in car will tell. I'll install from the manifold and work to the back, and use Locktites Copper Anti-Seize at the joints to help disassembly. At least I know what I have instead of waiting to see how good of job is done at a muffler shop by some guy who's never seen a Tiger.

Last edited:

KenF

Gold forum user
I noticed when I removed the original exhaust manifolds, maybe never removed since new, there was no gasket between the head and manifold. Looking at the shop manual it says to use graphite grease between the two.

Anyone ever not use exhaust gaskets and use the shop manual method?

Also, I notice the left manifold has a Ford number, but the right has a "BarCast" 1981004 number. Did Sunbeam have to make and install their own right manifold? Just curious.

Warren

Gold forum user
Falcon

One is standard Ford Falcon one is Tiger specific or industrial motor specific. The choke side is the special one.